The global pandemic has been tough on the skin, especially around the hands and face. This is occasioned by the need to wash your hands frequently and wear a face mask while outdoors. Although many people opt to stay indoors, there is still a need to take care of your skin to ensure it is healthy and beautiful. Here are some essential skin care tips during the COVID-19 pandemic that will help to keep your skin glowing, supple, and soft.
Skincare for the Hands
Handwashing or sanitizing is a key step to keeping COVID-19 at bay. It is recommended that you need to wash your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and alternatively sanitize using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol. However, this can be detrimental to your skin, causing dry, cracked skin. You can take care of your hands.
- Being Gentle on Your Hands – Avoid washing with hot water as it can increase skin damage. Also, keep off antibacterial cleansers, which are not effective in preventing coronavirus and contain chemicals that can irritate your skin.
- Moisturize Often – Every time you wash your hands, pat them dry and put on a generous amount of moisturizer. When using sanitizer, wait for the sanitizer to dry then apply moisturizer. Your moisturizer should be hypoallergenic; it should be free of fragrance and dye. It should also be easily accessible to make it easy to apply whenever necessary. You can combine moisturizers, for instance, lightweight creams to add moisture and heavier creams to lock in the moisture and prevent water loss.
- Wear Gloves – it is important to wear gloves when cleaning to protect your hands from harsh cleaning products.
Skincare for Your Face
Wearing a mask whenever you are stepping out in public is a necessary precaution to prevent and curb the spread of COVID-19. Nonetheless, it comes with its own set of challenges, and when you are avoiding the mask by staying indoors, there are still factors that may be stopping your skin from being at its best. Keep reading to learn some facial skincare tips during COVID-19.
- Have a Regular Skincare Routine – Although a skincare routine sounds high-maintenance, it is not. It is easy to implement and also very necessary. You can begin by cleansing and moisturizing your face at least twice a day to clean off dirt and sweat along with opening your pores. Do not forget to moisturize your lips and use a hydrating eye cream.
- Use Sunscreen – Many people are not getting out as often as they did before the pandemic; it is therefore easy to get lazy with sunscreen. Unless your mask is made of sun-protective fabric, it cannot protect you from the harmful sun rays. It is then a good idea to use moisturizers with some sunscreen in the morning, which will protect you from the UV rays and blue light emitted by your laptop, TV, or phone screens.
- Eat Well and Drink Plenty of Water – Eating a balanced and nourishing diet will reflect on your skin. Now that you are home, it is easy to drink the endorsed 8-10 glasses of water a day to flush out toxins and ensure your skin looks fresh and hydrated
- Use Vitamin C Serums and Oral Oxidants – These are essential for preventing skin damage and brightening your skin. Oral oxidants have vitamins and minerals that help to protect and revitalize your skin.
Taking care of your skin while at home is pretty easy, and while at it do not forget to sleep enough to prevent premature skin aging. Also, exfoliate your skin at least once a week. While you cannot stop washing your hands and wearing masks during these unprecedented times, you can use these tips to protect your skin.